We have received a number of queries in relation to the guidance issued last week, regarding return to train/ play for Camogie players.
As always the priority of the Camogie Association is to facilitate a safe return to training and play for all members.
The recommendation for players to train with one team only is for the current time and restriction levels only. i.e. level 5 restrictions, for these 2 -3 weeks with gradual return to sport training – or until further government guidance is received.
The guidance is subject to change as government guidance changes in both jurisdictions.
Current Government Guidance
- Only Adult inter county was permitted to return to training from Monday 19th April in 32 counties.
- No Adult club training is currently permitted in the 26 counties.
- Adult clubs are permitted to train in Northern Ireland.
- We do not currently have a date for when Adult club training will be permitted in Republic of Ireland.
- There is currently no permission for underage inter county groups to train in either jurisdiction.
- Underage club training (non-contact) in pods of 15, which will be allowed to return from 26th April only in the 26 Counties. This was confirmed yesterday evening 21/04/2021.
- Underage club training is permitted in Northern Ireland.
- For counties (across 32 counties) where they have minor players on inter county camogie teams – those minor players are permitted to train with their county squad, if they wish to.
Challenge for the next few weeks
We are required to minimise risk of covid spreading across Camogie units – as such – guidance has been issued for individuals to train with one team only for the moment, as we enter this step by step return to activity.
This will help to limit risk of transmission from club units to county, or county units to multiple clubs.
As per return to play guidance, there should be 48 hours between sessions.
This is not a long-term measure – just a short term measure as units return to training.
Please note – the only competition which we currently have permission to plan, (and hopefully run as planned) is the Littlewoods National League due to commence on 14/15 May.
We await instruction/ direction from government regarding all other competitions/ initiatives.
We will notify units as soon as we have more information, or there are any changes.
I hope that this provides clarity.
I wish you all well with your return to training, and look forward to receiving further good news regarding return to sport over the coming days and weeks